This Protestant neo-Gothic church is beautiful, with its mosaic-tiled roof, delicate floral frescos and star-studded ceiling resembling a night sky. It is a very pretty church, with an eclectic roof design and very intricate, well maintained interior.
The Evangelical-Reformed town St.Lawrence church stands next to the abbey district in the old town of St.Gallen. The early history of the church is largely unknown. It is believed that it was founded between the 9th and 12th centuries, before 1170 it became a parish church. The church was rebuilt and enlarged many times. The appearance of today’s church dates mainly from the mid-19th century. The plans for the conversion came from Johann Georg Müller, they was executed by Johann Christoph Kunker, since Müller died before the start of construction. The result of the reconstruction is a three-aisled pillar basilica in neo-gothic style with attached gallery wings on both sides.
The tower of the St. Lawrence Church affords a beautiful view of the Old Town and the Abbey Precinct. Tours of the tower are held twice daily at 10 am and 3 pm. Climb the tower for views over the town’s terracotta rooftops and spires. The tower is closed during the winter months.