The Trinity Church was built from 1948 – 1950 according to plans by Johann Scheier. It was created under the great influence of the Protestant theologian Karl Barths. The century theologian acted in the «Confessional Church» against the Nazi regime. At the last minute he was able to flee to Basel.
On this theological background, Johann Scheier designed a basilica building. It is based on the basilicas of Mistail and Romainmôtiers, as well as the church ceiling of Zillis.
The artistic features include the sandstone capitals and reliefs by Josef Büsser, the Way of the Cross by August Wanner, the glass window by Hans Stocker (song of the lads in the furnace) and the Holy Trinity symbols by Albert Schenker.
Dreifaltigkeitskirche | Iddastrasse 31 | 9008 St. Gallen