Located southeast at the gates of St. Gallen’s Old Town is the «Linsebühl». This name (translatable with: stony hill) probably owes the quarries for the city buildings that used to be here.
In 1225 the first chapel was inaugurated at this place. In 1894 they wrote out a competition for a 1000 seats church. From 27 projects, the jury chose the project of the architect Armin Stöcklin – a neo-renaissance church (the same style was found this time in italy). Next to the old church, they built 1896 finally the new Church. They have had the first electric lighting in the quarter! After the dedication the old church was demolished. Sandly, in 1941 the rich interior was vandal like completely destroyed for a renovation. The stucco was cut off, the decorative paintings painted with white color and many woodworks removed… In 1992 this condition was tried to be restored in detail….
The church is located in Linsenbühl directly on the Jakobspilgerweg, the coming from Rorschach about St. Gallen, Herisau and Wattwil leads to Einsiedeln and then on to Santiago de Compostela on the Northwest corner of Spain, the big one Jakobspilgerweg.
Coming soon more!
Where to find?
Flurhofstrasse 1 | www.ref-sgc.ch ↗